What is iBeacon?
iBeacon is a new technology that extends Location Services in iOS. Your iOS device can alert apps when you approach or leave a location with an iBeacon. In addition to monitoring location, an app can estimate your proximity to an iBeacon (for example, a display or checkout counter in a retail store). Instead of using latitude and longitude to define the location, iBeacon uses a Bluetooth low energy signal, which can be detected by iOS devices.
To use iBeacon, you need iOS 7, iOS 8 or later, Bluetooth turned on, and a compatible iOS device:
- iPhone 4S or later (iPhone 5/5S, iPhone 6/6 Plus)
- iPad (3rd generation) or later (Air/Air 2)
- iPad mini or later
- iPod touch (5th generation) or later
With iBeacon technology you can detect beacon devices or make your iOS device act as a transmitting beacon.
iBeacon with Smartface App Studio
Smartface App Studio supports iBeacon since version 4.2.2. It’s available for download and ready for you to develop apps. 🙂
Download Smartface App Studio and start developing iBeacon projects instantly with iOS emulator on Windows PC!
Also we’ve already developed two examples for you. First one is for detecting a beacon, the other one is a broadcasting app. You can find the details and sample codes in our developer guide from the links below:
- Detecting a Beacon: The iBeacon framework can understand when you enter the region of a beacon. When you are in the region you can query it to find out information about it.
- Broadcasting: We will set a UUID to the app then it will start broadcasting this UUID and the receiver app will be able to detect.
Start Developing Now
More Bluetooth Low Energy features will be implemented in next releases. Please see our roadmap for details.